We’re putting Yoga, Church, and Community together in new ways.
Yoga is both a state of being and the practices that help us reach that state of being. It’s a vast spiritual science that includes so much more than postures. The root of Yoga is yuj, which means union. Yoga is the union of God and Self. When we use words like “God and Self” we know that language always falls short. We’re talking about things that exist beyond language. We encourage everyone in our community to use the words that most speak to their heart.
And speaking of words, we know the word “church” can be triggering for some. We get it. Here’s what we mean when we say it: Church is a word that signifies a community of people gathered together to explore and honor ideas of meaning. While the word church is most often associated with Christianity, it’s used by several non-christian groups including Buddhists and even atheists.
The Yoga Church Community is made up of diverse people with different religious experiences and understanding—from every faith tradition and none—unified by our desire to live lives of intention, meaning, and mystery.
Together we study the deeper dimensions of yoga practice and wrestle with big questions so that we can practice loving ourselves, our communities, and our world well.
Together we explore our passions and curiosity. We share our anger and our laughter. We help each other move through struggle and celebrate joy. We mark the changing seasons with ritual and blessing.
Together we study and practice the many tools of yoga so that we can feel grounded, respond to emotional upheaval with intention, and figure out our next, right action.
Yoga Church always seems to offer a new perspective to deal with whatever challenge I’m experiencing in the moment, whether that’s through a quote, spiritual text, a new physical practice, or something another attendee said – and most often a combination of all of those. It’s teaching me ways to pause and reflect rather than react to challenges, and it’s helping me make choices to steer myself toward the things that are most satisfying, positive, and aligned with how I want to live”~M.M.
We’re building our own community.
- We’re breaking down the walls of individualism.
- We’re saying NO to the myth of perfectionism.
- We’re defining our own spiritual paths.
Will you join us?
I get a lot out of this community. I’m very grateful that I have these connections that I wouldn’t otherwise have… During all this, my gosh, I don’t know where I would’ve been if I hadn’t been able to reach out to you guys. So thank you.~D.A.
Go even deeper….
Here’s what you’ll find inside the Yoga Church Community Hub:
Live, guided practices & a vast library of recorded practices
- Our weekly and monthly offerings are themed around the teachings we explore at the Yoga Church Sunday Gatherings, which provides a rhythm and consistency that supports our effort to bring these teachings into our everyday lives.
- And don’t worry if you can’t join us live, you’ll have 24/7 access to the practice library, which is packed with classes of different lengths and different themes to support you in whatever way you might need on any given day.
- We honor and value the wisdom that lives in the body and recognize the healing and transformative power of intentional movement. Our asana practice gives us the opportunity to listen deeply to the voice of the body.
- Through slow, accessible movement, breath work, and meditation, we embody the deeper teachings we’re always exploring. We come to practice with no expectation that we’ll all look alike or have the same experience.
The Yoga Church asana classes have definitely helped me better manage my anxiety and even my anger issues. Each week, I look forward to practicing yoga with Marci, Summer, and the rest of the Yoga Church family. The asana classes are a welcome break, especially during the workday. I am also applying what I am learning in the asana classes to my workouts at the gym. The asana classes continually impact my life in countless, positive ways! Thank you!~M.A.
Sacred Study Meditation
- The Yoga Church is grounded in the ancient texts of yoga and together we’re working our way through the Bhagavad Gita, the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and several of the key Upanishads.
- In Sacred Study we explore new ways to weave the ancient teachings of yoga into our everyday living. It’s a reminder to come back to center and ground ourselves in something other than the noise and distractions we all deal with.
I love that Summer manages to make it intelligent, spiritual, heartful, and practical. It’s a grounding and loved part of my week.~N.J.
Book Club Conversations
- We dive deep into thought-provoking, life-changing books about what it means to love well. We choose authors who bring us a wide array of perspectives.
- Book club is an opportunity to explore and hear everyone’s voices, experiences, and wisdom. It supports us in expanding our understanding of ourselves, the world, and our relationship with it.
We’re not interested in self-care for its own sake. We’re interested in the kind of self-care that resources and equips us to work for collective care.
Before Yoga Church, I never thought yoga had anything to do with social justice. And it has everything to do with social justice! It really does.~M.A.
- The Hub is our space to keep the conversations flowing. We can share ongoing reflections and follow-up on ideas and resources after practices and gatherings.
- We can post, share, comment, and like without distraction, without clickbait or ads, without algorithms controlling our experience. We’ve built the Hub through Mighty Networks (a private and secure platform) so we can trust that our information and posts are safe and not owned or shared by anyone.